Monday, September 16, 2013

Monitoring and Savings

I said before that it was fun being able to observe the boiler functions online but I could border on addictive.  Perhaps it is because it is a new installation and I'm constantly watching to make sure things are going as they should and that no unforeseen problems are lurking in my basement.  Or perhaps I am just still amazed that I can change the settings from wherever I am.  Whatever the case,  I'm still watching and analyzing.
I calculated the cost of heating my domestic hot water (DHW) by retrieving the pellet consumption data.  As I am only heating my DHW right now and not my house, it is the only savings realization I can calculate at this point.  From a cold start boiler my Kedel utilizes between 3 and 4 pounds of pellets to satisfy my boiler-mate.  With normal weekday operation this occurs on average 3 times per day.  My pellets cost 10 cents per pound ($200/ton).  So it cost me, on average, 30 to 40 cents to satisfy my boiler-mate per occasion, or 90 cents to $1.20 per day.

In comparison, my oil boiler that I'd be using had I not installed the Kedel  would run for approximately 30 minutes from a cold start to satisfy my boiler-mate.  The oil in my tank cost $3.75/gallon last time it was delivered.  So, the .85 gph nozzle would cost me $1.59 per half hour of runtime.  So, to satisfy my boiler-mate the same three times per day would cost $4.77 per day.  The Kedel is saving me $3.57 - $3.87 per day when compared to oil, for DHW.

This is over-simplified I know, and I've only had the Kedel in for less than a week, but I am pleased with the performance.  This also doesn't take into consideration electrical consumption.  I would be using electricity with any of my heating solutions so I figured it would be a minimal change although I suspect the Kedel is more economical with electrical consumption than my oil burner.

With more time and more data I'll be able to more accurately calculate the costs/savings.

4 comments:

  1. Any new statistics? Issues? Etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be updating statistics shortly. I will also be talking about what we are doing now. No issues. Just adjustments.

      Delete
  2. How much pellets have you gone through so far for your DHW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hard to say as we have started heating the house at night due to colder evenings. I can tell you that it took 3 to 4 lbs of pellets to satisfy my boilermate and it typically ran 3 to 4 times per day. So 9 to 16 lbs per day depending on water usage. We are also still adjusting the Kedel to run at the most efficient power settings. Stay tuned and I'll have more answers. Right now I am burning .008 lbs/sq.ft. to heat DHW and the house(at night).

      Delete